As part of Stroke Awareness Month, we’re going to be sharing important fitness and nutrition information to help support your heart health.
Getting enough fiber in your diet has been shown to reduce the risks of high cholesterol, heart disease, obesity, diabetes and even certain types of cancer.
You can get fiber from whole grains, vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts and seeds.
Here is a delicious recipe with 12 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein per serving. It’s the perfect side dish for all of your upcoming summer barbeques!
Cucumber, Corn, Black Bean, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups corn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (I used half red, half yellow)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cucumber, black beans, corn, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, and chopped cilantro in a bowl. Squeeze the fresh juice from the lime onto the salad, and stir well.
- Mix in the avocado, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy.