Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, as well as folate, calcium magnesium and potassium. They also have a ton of fiber which means they support healthy digestion and keep you satiated for longer.
If you’re looking for vegan meal ideas to switch out your regular chicken or turkey wrap, this is a quick and easy lunch that uses hot sauce to give you that same spicy buffalo flavor you would normally get with chicken.TIP: To avoid soggy bread if you’re taking this for lunch, pack the veggies, chickpea salad and bread in three separate containers and assemble at work.
VEGAN BUFFALO CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH6 Servings
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 12 slices sprouted wheat bread
- Toppings: spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
- In a medium bowl, add chickpeas. Mash with a fork or potato masher until all are mashed, leaving a bit of texture.
- Add carrots, celery, green onions, bell pepper, hummus, hot sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Mix until ingredients are completely combined.
- Toast bread slices.
- Scoop chickpea salad onto a piece of bread, top with desired sandwich toppings, and then another piece of bread.