A cruciferous spin on macaroni and cheese, this recipe takes comfort food to a whole new level, and is a tasty way to check off a few servings on the Daily Dozen checklist. This recipe comes from Kristina, our Director of Nutrition & Social Media Strategy.
- 8 oz 100% whole grain or bean pasta
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- black pepper to taste
- Nutty Parm optional
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package, then set aside.
- Sauté the kale, tomatoes, broccoli until lightly cooked. Use 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time if needed to keep the veggies from sticking to the pan.
- In a blender, combine the water, cashews, nutritional yeast, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and miso paste. Blend until smooth.
- Add the veggies to the pot with the pasta. Pour over the cashew sauce, and stir. Cook the dish lightly until the sauce warms up, then serve.