- Quinoa: Ahhhh, the star of this quinoa arugula salad! Make a big batch and freeze it for later.
- Arugula: This peppery green is perfect in salads. It adds great flavor bite and a gorgeous deep green shade. If arugula is a little too much for you, you could also use torn butter/bibb lettuce or red leaf lettuce. These greens don’t hold up quite as well once dressed, so dress them right before you eat the salad.
- Lemon Vinaigrette: I added lemon juice and zest to the vinaigrette to give it that light lemon flavor that I love in salads this time of year.
- Chopped Almonds: I added chopped almonds for some extra staying power and a necessary crunch. If you want a really filling salad, I recommend topping it with some garbanzo beans, chopped hard boiled eggs or grilled chicken.
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice (about 2 lemon)
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 6 tbsp. minced shallots (about one)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cup raw quinoa
- 16 cups arugula, washed
- 1 cup almonds, roasted and chopped
- Prepare quinoa as directed and let cool.
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss quinoa, arugula, almonds and dressing together.
This salad is best made ahead of time to let the flavors deepen, and it’s great the next day.