Attention Road Runners: Marathon Heat Alert
Don't Let Bad Science Advice Sabotage Your Race:
CEO Robert Forster, PT
DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!
YOU NEED ELECTROLYTE SUPPLEMENTS BEYOND WHAT YOUR ENERGY DRINK SUPPLIES
Disclaimer: We do not sell electrolyte supplements or receive compensation from any of the manufactures listed in this bulletin
Overheating is the most significant risk factor for your, performance and your health in next week's marathon. With just a few degree increase in your core temperature your marathon performance is in jeopardy! Yet too many coaches and nutritionists fail to recommend the simple proven science that will help you deal with the heat.
On hotter days your sweat mechanism is kicked into overdrive to help cool your skin via evaporation. Excessive sweating leads to a CRITICAL loss of the electrolytes in your sweat, these are the charged particles responsible for normal functioning nerves and muscles.
Muscle cramping, GI distress, headache, muscle pain and an inability to maintain your pace, are all consequences of overheating and electrolyte depletion.
HEAT = SLOWER PACE as blood is shunted from your muscles to your skin to increase perspiration rate
HEAT = MUSCLE CRAMPING from the loss of electrolytes which disrupts muscle and nerve dysfunction
HEAT = BONK / HITTING THE WALL caused by a shift from fat burning energy production to carb burning, anaerobic energy production. The result is the depletion of carbs in your body and the severe slowing of your pace
HEAT = CARDIAC STRESS Dehydration and the associated decrease in the volume of fluids in your circulatory system means your heart has to pump faster to get the same amount of blood to your muscles
Electrolyte supplements are used successfully at every Ironman competition and endurance event on the planet for good reason, they are safe and inexpensive. Yet some inexperienced nutritionists fail to protect their athletes with sound science.
Strategies to BEAT THE HEAT!
( PRACTICE THIS WEEKEND ON YOUR LAST LONG RUN)
1. Use electrolytes for your remaining workouts and up the salt content of your meals
2. Increase your plasma volume, the amount of fluids in your circulatory system, by drinking more water and diluted electrolyte drinks starting today.
3. Drink a gallon of water over the course of the day, EVERY day until the race.
4. Train in hotter afternoon temperatures to allow your body to acclimate to the heat.
5. Start slow and allow your body to react to the heat before picking up the pace
6. Wear loose fitting, light colored clothing that shields more skin from the sun but allows air to flow freely across the skin to promote evaporation and heat loss. Wear a hat or head wrap that shield the head but allows for ample air flow.
7. Separate your nutrition from your hydration in your remaining training runs and on race day. To avoid the GI distress that comes from consuming too much Gatorade in an attempt to get all the electrolytes you will need, you must alternate between Gatorade and plain water with added electrolyte supplements. Your body can only process 18-22 ounces of fluid per hour. Don't drink more, just add more electrolytes.
8. Adjust your pace:
Temperature and Pace Adjustment
55°F-60°F +5 sec/mi
60°F-65°F +15 sec/mi
65°F-70°F +30 sec/mi
70°F-75°F +40 sec/mi
75°F-80°F +1:10 min/mi
80°F-85°F +2:00 min/mi
85°F Not Recommended
PRACTICE THESE DOSAGES
ON YOUR REMAINING RUNS:
The dosages suggested below are based on science based research and our direct experience with athletes when taken with plain water.
(Disclaimer: We do not sell electrolytes nor do we receive any compensation from these companies)
Endurolytes Capsules: 4 capsules every 30 minutes starting the first hour
Supplement Facts (Amount per 2 Capsule Serving)
Other Ingredients: Stabilized Rice Bran, Ginger Root and Vegetable Capsules (plant cellulose and water).
Salt Stick Capsules - 1 capsule every 30 minutes
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Each Capsule Contains
Sodium 550 mg
Vitamin D3 100 IU
Other Ingredients: Vegetable cellulose (capsules), vegetable magnesium stearate, vegetable stearic acid (flowing agents)
FYI: Where to buy Electrolytes:
REI in Santa Monica (402 Santa Monica Blvd)
Fleet and Feet Sports - Burbank (1516 W. Magnolia Blvd) are well stocked with Endurolytes, electrolyte supplements, and SaltStick, and will continue to be well stocked with a variety of electrolyte supplements SaltStick throughout the week.
For those that have an Amazon prime account, that is another great resource to ensure you have your supplements before marathon day.
Check Both REIs in the valley, REI in Northridge, and REI in Woodland Hills are often out of Endurolytes and SaltStick.
Be sure to pass these tips along to your family and friends running on Sunday!