Makes: 4-6 Servings.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 Turnips, washed & grated
- 2 Carrots, washed & grated
- 10 Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup shelled Peas
- 2 Celery Sticks, sliced
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 1-2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 4 ripe Tomatoes, chopped or 1 can (14oz)
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 14 oz can Lentils, drained & rinsed
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, mashed
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a large saucepan over medium to high heat and add a little olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, turnips, carrots, mushrooms, peas, and celery. Stir for a few minutes until cooked through.
- Add the cumin and garlic powder and stir. Next, add the tomatoes, vinegar, stock and lentils. Stir and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding in the salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a large casserole dish and level the top with the back of a spoon.
- Top with the mashed sweet potato and level the sweet potato with a fork to make grooves that will crisp up in the oven.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle sesame seeds on top for extra crunch.
- Bake in the oven for 10-20 minutes or until cooked through.